“Her Bach and Haydn were outstandingly inventive – this is a young woman ready to take interpretive risks.”
— University of Waterloo Gazette
Sarah Hagen - Recitals in Large & Small Halls
Sarah brings her unique blend of humour and excellence to the stage in personal and intimate recitals. Breaking down barriers with her engaging personality and hilarious sense of fun, she warmly invites listeners into the incredible and distinct world of classical music. Programme themes include music inspired by birds and birdsong, and a musical menagerie, music inspired by all sorts of animals. For more traditional concert societies, Sarah also offers a breathtaking and virtuosic programme with masterworks by Chopin, Haydn, and Rachmaninov.
In lecture recitals, audiences are treated to a feast for the ears, gain insight into the pianist’s perspective, and enjoy discussion over a cup of tea or a glass of wine. Sarah promotes a relatively informal ambiance, providing opportunity to ask questions, or share opinions.
Presenters and hosts may wish to book a single programme, a package of several lectures, or an entire weekend of these highly successful sessions.
SAMPLE RECITAL TOPICS
- Clara Schumann: The original Superwoman
- Wonder Women! – An introduction to female composers
- Franz Joseph Haydn: a full-bellied artist, living it up with the Esterházy family
- Ludwig van Beethoven: the piano as a symphonic force
- Edvard Grieg: enchanting music of Norway
- Isaac Albeniz: romantic and smoky, the Spanish piano
- Frédéric Chopin: I left my heart in San Fran, er, Poland
- J.S. Bach: the beloved Lutheran genius
- Claude Debussy: Symbolist or Impressionist?
- Francis Poulenc: Finding a balance, or exploiting dichotomies?
- Erik Satie: Quirky, brave, and insightful
- Robert Schumann: Florestan and Eusebius – Playing with or haunted by?
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Mannheim Rockets, Operatic Sighs and Bliss
- Muzio Clementi: An even greater virtuoso than Mozart?
- Johannes Brahms: Love in every bite
“After four informal at-home sessions with Sarah Hagen, I am entranced by her disarming un-self consciousness and sense of fun, and stunned by her technical skill and musicianship. What a privilege!”
— Colin Park, past participant